Friday, February 19, 2010

Oxygen is Overrated


When most people talk about swimming, they instantly think of Michael Phelps. Or those people who always smell like chlorine. But to a swimmer, it is much, much more than that. It is a lifestyle, a family, a sport, and the greatest thing in the whole world. For me to go without swimming is like a fish without water-- unnatural and insane.
My older sister inspired me to swim, and I really haven’t stopped ever since. She swam for seven years, and I have been swimming for six. She taught me how to swim in a lake up north and I fell in love. Although we have never actually swum together on a team because of our age difference, it is a common interest, and it is nice to have someone to talk to about it who understands.
There is something about the water that is so calming and enjoyable that makes me jump in every day year-round. Swimming is not something you can do just on the side, it is a major commitment. Practice is six days a week for two hours. In high school swimming you have practice nine practices a week and five days of “dry-land”. Swimming is kind of like a hate-love relationship. You love it, but at the same time you hate the hard sets and morning practices. Meets are a three day event over the weekend. They can last from anywhere from three hours to five, depending on the size. High school swim meets are only an hour, but they are much more important and have faster competition. Swimming takes up a lot of your time and energy, so it becomes a sort of lifestyle. Eat, sleep, swim, that is basically how it is for most of us—especially during high school season.
Your team becomes like your unofficial second family. Even more so, the other people in your lane. You spend about all of your time with them, for morning and night practices, meets, team bonding trips, staying overnight for a meet, you name it—we are always together. Your lane mates know you when you are crabby, hyper, sad, frustrated, happy, and hurting. They go through those long painful sets with you, and make it so much better. It’s hard to say whether or not I could make it through those practices without my friends by my side. It’s what makes even the hardest practices, or the most disappointing races worth it and bearable.
Swimming has taught me some of the most important lessons in life, and given me the greatest experiences. I have learned discipline, getting up at quarter to five in the morning for practice before school, and then trudging it right back to the pool again for yet another practice—without complaining (too much). I have learned good sportsmanship, and how to be a winner and a loser. Not every race can be your best race and I have learned how to deal with that disappointment. I have learned what it is like to be on top, and modesty. I have made the best of friends through swimming. Not only on my own team, but from competing against other teams from all over. I have been able to travel all over the state, and see different places because of meets. I have been able to reach my fullest potential in something that I love and do something to be proud of myself. It is something that I love and will do for a long time.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah Jane,
    When I read your blog I laughed. You defined swimming perfectly. You did a great job explaining the lifestyle, and your title is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good simile:For me to go without swimming is like a fish without water-- unnatural and insane.It reminds me of Big Fish. Good description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job!! You made me want to join the swim team! I agree with Melissa. I also think your title is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, your title is great...along with the rest of this post! I loved it! You and swimming is like me and running. It can be long and painful, but when it's over you know you've accomplished something and the friends you make through all the time you spent together are great! Fantastic job! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you described swimming makes it seem like a major commitment, but you definitely seem up to it! Agreeing with just about everyone above me, your title is great and so is everything that follows. You really told your story well. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone is right! You really found something special, don't give up on it, I doubt you would after reading this. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your title is fabulous! Swimming is such a tough sport, wow I would never be able to swim as much as you do! You described everything very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the title,ill have to agree with Bridget i could never do that much swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the blog , the details are amazing and it totally made me want to go swiming !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah,
    swimming sounds like so much fun. But I don't think I could take the morning practices, and wet hair at school. I like swimming, but when we had to do it in gym, I hated it.

    ReplyDelete